STA Robotics Program – General Information
- Robotics at St. Thomas Aquinas School has become a gateway for our students to develop both the hard and soft skills of STEM outside of the classroom. Robotics requires students to learn basic principles of engineering, coding, keeping engineering notebooks, public speaking, and robot driving. It also gives our students real-world practice in collaboration within their own teams and with teams from other schools. Our students become real problem solvers in the process of building, driving, and competing with other teams.
History of the STA Robotics Program and 2021-22 Team Accomplishments
- STA Tigers Robotics first began in 2013 when Mayor Greg Ballard initiated a robotics scholarship program to encourage schools in Indianapolis to form a team. READ MORE HERE
STA Robotics Program – Registration Information and Payment
- Robotics Club $40 – Any 5th-8th grade student who is interested in being a part of the STA Robotics Team will spend the first eight sessions learning how to build and program a robot. Each student will keep their own notebook to notate what they did each session as part of the training. All interested students will register for the Robotics Club and make a $40 payment to join. We will be meeting on the following Thursdays and Saturdays: 8/18, 8/25, 8/27, 9/1, 9/3, 9/8, 9/10 and 9/15. Thursday meetings are 3-5pm and Saturday meetings are 9-Noon.
- Robotics Team $140 – Based on observations of student performance, cooperation, and interest, coaches will invite students to join the competitive team for the remainder of the robotics season. Only students invited to join the team will be able to register and make a $140 payment to join. We will continue to meet regularly on Thursdays from 3-5pm and will schedule Saturday meetings from 9-Noon as needed. We anticipate participating in four Saturday tournaments (one in December, two in January, and one in February). If a team qualifies for state they will attend this competition on a Saturday in March (TBD). A schedule of practice and competition dates for the team will be available by the end of August. Fees will be used to help cover the costs for team registrations, competitions, and shirts. Outside sponsorships and donations will be sought to cover all other costs beyond that.
- STA Robotics Registration & Student Contract – HERE
Support our STA Robotics Team and become a Robotics Program BOOSTER
- If you would like to help to financially support our efforts, we accept donations of any size to raise money to buy robotics equipment, register our teams, and for entry fees to compete at local, state, and world competitions. Please contact Coach Sandy Hoy at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or would like to make a contribution. Cash or checks can be made out to St. Thomas Aquinas School with a note in the memo section “Robotics Team”. Drop them off in the school office anytime.
STA ROBOTICS BOOSTER DONATION LEVELS
|FRIEND OF STA ROBOTICS||Less than $50||
|BRONZE||$50 – 249||
|SILVER||$250 – 499||
|GOLD||$500 – 999||