Robotics has the potential to engage all students, regardless of their level of academic ability, in complex yet fun ways, encouraging them to use critical thinking skills to solve a given task. Robotics requires students to develop mechanical and electrical knowledge as well as an understanding of computer programming, teaching students how to design, prototype, and troubleshoot, all while working together as a team. Students learn how to document the process in an engineering notebook and become confident speaking during judging interviews. Robotics is one of the most valuable academic activities a school can provide students in order to prepare them for life.
History of the STA Robotics Program
- STA Tigers Robotics first began in 2013 when Mayor Greg Ballard initiated a robotics scholarship program to encourage schools in Indianapolis to form a team.
STA Robotics Program – Registration Information and Payment
- Robotics Team cost is $160 – The season officially starts in August and does not end until the end of February with students meeting every Thursday after school from 3-5 pm and two Saturday mornings each month from 9-Noon, to design, build, code and drive their robots. Each season a new game is revealed that provides the challenge that students will use to design their robots for play at competitions throughout the year. If a team qualifies for state they will attend this competition on Saturday, March 23rd. A schedule of practice and competition dates for the team will be emailed to parents in August. We will be hosting two competitions at STA in January and February and will be asking for parent volunteers.
- Students and coaches will work together to form teams of 4 students each. Depending on the age of the student they will be on either an elementary or middle school team.
- Fees will be used to help cover the costs for team registrations, competitions, and shirts. Outside sponsorships and donations will be sought to cover all other costs beyond that.
- All of our students are involved in many other activities and we understand they may not be available for every practice. This is a big time commitment but is so worth it! Communication is the key. Please notify coaches if you cannot make a practice.
- STA Robotics Registration & Student Contract – HERE
Support our STA Robotics Team and become a Robotics BOOSTER
- If you would like to help to financially support our efforts, we accept donations of any size to raise money to buy robotics equipment, register our teams, and for entry fees to compete at local, state, and world competitions. Please contact Coach Sandy Hoy at email@example.com if you have any questions or would like to make a contribution. Cash or checks can be made out to St. Thomas Aquinas School with a note in the memo section “Robotics Team”. Mail or drop donations off at the school office anytime. (4600 N. Illinois, 46208)
- If your place of business would like to help sponsor our team we are happy to print your company logo on our team shirts as a proud sponsor.