St. Thomas has been educating children since 1941. When the school opened, there were 157 pupils in grades 1-8 with only six teachers, all nuns from the Sisters of Providence.
During the 1960s and 1970s the school population became more racially diverse as integration and inclusion became key priorities of the parish.
In the 1990s St. Thomas added a kindergarten class, first in an off-campus location and then in the parish center. As part of an ambitious $2 million expansion for the parish in 2002, a state of the art science lab, kindergarten classroom, hardwood floor and lighting for the gymnasium, and new office spaces were added to the school. This project also finally connected the church, school and parish office together through a series of hallways.
Today, St. Thomas Aquinas is responsible for educating over 200 students in grades Pre-K thru 8th. Our student body includes students from diverse racial, religious and economic families, creating a rich and vibrant environment. Our staff of over 30 teachers enable our children to thrive and grow in a safe and nurturing environment.
- 2019 – St. Thomas Aquinas awarded the top honor of Indianapolis Thriving School MASTER with a commitment to create sustainability initiatives that will make our community and places of education healthier places to live, learn, and grow.
- 2018 – St. Thomas Aquinas again qualifies for a US Department of Education Blue Ribbon School award.
- 2017 – St. Thomas earned an A rating from the Indiana DOE.
- 2014 – US Department of Education recognized St. Thomas as a National “Green Ribbon School” for their work in teaching students about care for creation and how to be good stewards.
- 2013 – Indiana DOE named St. Thomas a 4-Star School for top academic performance.
- 2006 – The St. Thomas Resource Program received national recognition for its outstanding and exemplary work.
- 2005 – In recognition of our many years of academic success and eligibility for this distinction, the US Department of Education named St. Thomas a Blue Ribbon School.
As we move forward from this solid foundation of academic success and a strong sense of community, St. Thomas will continue to create a learning environment where individual needs are met in an environment that encourages excellence, compassion, and respect.