St. Thomas has been educating children since 1941. When the school opened, there were 157 pupils in grades 1-8 with only six teachers, all nuns from the Sisters of Providence.
In 1964, an addition to the school was completed adding a much needed gymnasium. During the 1960’s and 1970’s the school population became more racially diverse as integration and inclusion became key priorities of the parish which was reflected in both the church and school community.
In the 1990’s St. Thomas added a kindergarten class, first in an off-campus location and then in the parish center. As part of an ambitious $2 million expansion for the parish in 2002, a state of the art science lab, kindergarten classroom, hardwood floor and lighting for the gymnasium, and new office spaces were added to the school. This project also finally connected the church, school and parish office together through a series of hallways.
- 2005, recognizing our many years of academic success, the US Department of Education named St. Thomas a Blue Ribbon School.
- 2006, the St. Thomas Resource Program received national recognition for its outstanding and exemplary work.
- 2013, Indiana DOE awarded St. Thomas a 4-Star School for top academic performance.
- 2014, US Department of Education recognized St. Thomas as a National “Green Ribbon School” for their work in teaching students about care for creation and to be good stewards!
As we move forward from this solid foundation of academic success and a strong sense of community, St. Thomas will continue to create a learning environment where individual needs are met in an environment that encourages excellence, compassion, and respect.