St Thomas Aquinas Space Evaluation & Renewal
NARTHEX & BETHANY ROOM
SCOPE & GOAL: Evaluate Narthex and Bethany Room to identify physical enhancement opportunities that will provide flexibility of use and improved space utilization for parishioner resource, routine use, common gathering and special events. An increased cohesiveness and liturgical appropriateness with the sanctuary should and will be considered in any improvements to be made.
NOTE: The information presented below represents ideas and options that are being explored. Contractor evaluations and project estimates are in process of being completed to determine their cost effectiveness and/or structural ability. No firm or final decisions have been made regarding the feasibility and timing of this project.
AREAS OF FOCUS & CONSIDERATION:
- Baptismal Font relocation to inside Sanctuary for liturgical appropriateness
- Create dedicated gathering/seating area opportunities to improve connectivity & community
- Create information resource center for new and existing parishioners
- Evaluate benefit of dedicated storage space/room for tables, chairs, etc.
- Create connection between Narthex & Bethany Room for larger community events/gatherings
- Modify opening and/or eliminate windows between Bethany Room & Narthex
- Evaluation of Sanctuary entrance
- Identify targeted spaces/areas for periodic use in event signup/info distribution, fundraising efforts, pillar awareness activities, etc.
- Neutralize existing wall surfaces to increase overall visual consistency
- Freshen & lighten current floor surfaces to improve visual appeal & physical perception
- Create consistency of flooring surfaces between Narthex and Bethany Room
- Evaluate non-wood ceiling surfaces to create consistency & finished appearance
- Evaluate options to improve lighting consistency in and between spaces
- Consider benefits of LED lighting and addition of dimming feature
Thank you, Narthex Update Committee
Fr. Michael Hoyt, Michael Davis, Tom Quinn, Ernie Kobets, Mike Gardner, Chris Durnil, Sheila Brown